babies

Thursday, August 7, 2008

10 Days Old today!

1 way trip to the hospital

Keston turned 1 week old in the hospital. We were really just bringing him back for a routine checkup, and he was supposed to take a blood test to check his jaundice level. At the laboratory, every infant that went in started bawling! Lil' K went in and dutifully had his blood drawn while his scaredy-cat mummy kept her eyes shut. Lil' K woke up briefly but did not utter a sound! I was so proud of him!

Sadly, the blood test returned with a jaundice level of 18 and we were given a choice of
1) Admitting the little bugger back to hospital for 2 days
or
2) Renting the 'suntanning bed' and monitoring him ourselves.

I wanted to rent the machine home, but HW convinced me that we were not professionals and would not even know if we were doing things right. Plus, we wouldn't be able to check on his jaundice every morning. So, very unwillingly, I agreed to leaving my baby behind.

On one hand, I was sad not to be able to see Kes all the time. Afterall, he's been attached to me for almost 9months now. On the other hand, we really really appreciated the rest! But still, I got abit kuku over the 2 days, smelling the baby cot and carseat.

Keston was discharged yesterday with jaundice level 7.5. We are so grateful! HW says he doesn't miss the little bugger and claims that his nightmare has begun again. But I did catch him beo-ing Kes non-stop ever since he's back! Men!

Keston's been sleeping beautifully. He didn't even wake us up last night for his 3-hourly feed. I think subconsciously he may have thought that waking us up caused his discard into the hospital. The poor baby.

No comments: