babies

Monday, February 8, 2010

Closing the door...

As far as I can remember, Keston has always been afraid of closing doors. He seems to think we're gone forever whenever we attempt to close the kitchen door or the toilet door. He'd stand outside pounding on the door and crying his lungs out.

A few days ago, he was being naughty and kept walking through the kitchen, out of the back door to the washing area and touching the detergents. I kept scolding him and warning him but to no avail. In the end, I closed the door on him-- leaving him in the washing area by himself. The second the door clicked close, he wailed and screamed. It was only for a good 10 seconds and when I opened the door, he ran out and immediately pushed the door close. From then on, he no longer wanders into the washing area and would close that door whenever he sees it open! Maybe I should do the same when he walks into the kitchen...

The next day, I was trying to get him to nap but he kept getting up to walk. So I opened the room door and calmly said "You wanna play right? Ok go outside the room to play." He was grinning from ear to ear and happily walked out of the room. The moment he stepped out, I closed the door. Cue dramatic wailing. Again, I left it for a few seconds before I let him in again. And he guai guai climb on to the bed to settle down. Whenever he attempts to get down from the bed, I'd ask him if he wants to go outside again and he quickly gets back on the bed. Sometimes he goes as far as the door and I'd gamely open the door wide for him, but he'll quickly walk behind the door and push it shut. It's quite hilarious really and works wonderfully in disciplining him.

No comments: