babies

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kiasu Singaporean Parents

Even before Keston was born, I knew I wasn't gonna be one of those laid-back-let-the-kids-enjoy-their-childhood kind of parent. I wouldn't be so extreme as to send my kid to tuition before even hitting primary school, but I wouldn't be happy having him face 4 walls and babbling to himself all day either.

So last week we attended a class at Baby Jumper Gym. Prior to this, I'd already brought Keston to a Kindermusik class (as blogged much earlier). Kindermusik didn't appeal to me as they were basically doing things which I did with Keston on a daily basis-- singing, dancing and moving with him. So I didn't really see why I'd want to pay to repeat the same things in another location....also because Keston didn't seem to enjoy himself lah!

Anyways, BJG comprises of a mix of flashcards and gym activities. I must say I liked the programme very much. Although he was abit whiney during the gym session, Keston looked genuinely interested at the flashcards. I liked that they kindda followed the Glenn Doman flashcards programme and the teacher's speed at flashing the cards was impressive. Out of the 4 babies present that day, Keston was the weakest. Sigh~ He's the only one who can't sit by himself, nor can he pull himself up with the hula hoop. He whined when we tried to make him lie down. Anyway, I'm hoping he will warm up to the class as we've decided to enroll for the term.

I suspect that Keston is afraid of babies...or maybe he's threatened. He doesn't have any problems with adults, he loves to smile and play with complete strangers whenever we're out (especially ladies). But put him in a group of babies and he gets cranky. Strange behaviour.

I digress. I've been reading "How to teach your baby Math" and have finally started my home flashcards sessions 2 days ago. We're learning to recognise quantity now. I'll be damned if any kid of mine does not do brilliantly in Maths! I mean come on, Maths is like the simplest thing on earth!!! HW already knows that I will blame his genes if Keston doesn't do well in Maths in future so he lets me do whatever I want now :)

2 comments:

dardar6374 said...

interesting .. i must go try BJG. I'm so lost on how to start on the flash cards :(

The Never Bored Mom said...

Do come and join us!
Apparently, the key to flashcards is speed!