babies

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Eating, Clapping and a Heart Scan

When Keston was in hospital, he was a fussy eater and refused to eat his porridge most of the time. We ended up stuffing him with Pigeon and Gerber's baby snacks to fill him up. At the same time, I made my Mum 'teach' him to feed himself. It worked. He finally learned to pick up his food and cram it into his mouth after a day or 2.

A few days ago, Keston suddenly looked at his plastic ball and said 'Voll Boll' and then proceeded to pick it up. He's repeated this a few times now but not consistently yet.

Yesterday evening, Keston also started clapping his hands. I tell you I've been trying to teach him to clap for months! I'll sing 'If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands...' and either clap my hands or clap his hands. And he'd just laugh and make no attempt to try it out. I'd randomly say 'Yay! Yay! Clap Hands!' and attempt to get him to clap to no avail. Then yesterday evening when I was trying to get him to take a nap, he started clapping! First he stared at his left hand and brought his right hand over to slap it. Then again and again...I was trying to quietly get him to sleep but could not help smiling and commending him. I said "Clever!" and he laughed and clapped harder. I kept going Clever and he kept laughing and clapping more and more enthusiastically, bringing both hands together at the same time.

He repeated this again when I was trying to put him down for the night. The weird thing is, he REFUSES to clap hands when I'm not trying to get him to sleep...I think the naughty fella just doesn't want to nap and tries to distract me. Nevermind that he's only clapping at 11mths+, he's super proud of himself! His face lights up as he stares at his hands. He seems to be thinking 'OMG I am so clever!' lol! Now the problem is, he starts clapping everytime he's supposed to nap or sleep...and I need to encourage him so he will not stop doing it. In the process, we both get a little too loud and inch further away from sleepyland. Sigh!

On another note, we went for K's 1st heartscan yesterday. He had to have his pulse taken (I think it's the pulse they're after) via this little stapler look-alike on his toe. He hated it in hospital and when he saw it again, he started screaming. Seeing how 'unstable' he is, the sonographer suggested we get him sedated. This is damn strange. He took the oral sedatives and fell asleep about 30mins later. And no power on earth could wake him up!! It's not a GA or LA, just a sedative but damn powerful! The scan went well, or at least the Sonographer says it looks fine. But we had to wait for K to wake up before we can leave the place. I kept poking him and pulling his toes but he wouldn't budge. So I took a hospital mask and wrapped it around his mouth/nose and put sunglasses on his face just for fun. He looked so funny that people were staring when we strolled him around the hospital grounds...

So anyway, the good news is the heart scan looked ok. We will get a more detailed explanation during our doctor's appt end of this month (a day before K turns 1, so please let it be good news)..and we have another scan to do in 3mths time.

The bad news is, K lost weight again!!! He's shrunk to 8.4 - 8.5kg (we got different measurements each time we put him on the scale). I don't understand why as he's been eating well since we got discharged. The only thing different is he had his hair cut the day before. But how can his hair weigh 500g!?

3 comments:

kc said...

hi, can i check if you're able to post pictures? i've been trying to for a week but e-blogger doesn't seem to be able to publish the photos...dunno if it's my comp prob or website prob.

The Never Bored Mom said...

You're right! I can't either...very annoying!

kc said...

let me know when this function works? my blog looks so boring now with no pics :(