babies

Friday, July 24, 2009

Mommy's cooking dinner

See, the thing is I can't cook. I don't mean I can't whip up a gourmet meal. I simply can't cook. I can go as far as instant noodles and at the very best, spaghetti with instant meat sauce.

When Keston was due to start on his solids, I began looking fervently for exact instructions on how to cook porridge. I mean exact as in the number of grains, the amount of water, etc. Eventually when mil offered to cook his porridge on weekdays and my mum on weekends, I simply shelved my cooking plans.

But now that Keston's turning 1 already, I decided I should do my part and cook for him. Part of the reason is mil brings over his dinner in the morning and I've heard how terrible it is for anyone to eat porridge that's been sitting there for a long time. HW was not v supportive of me cooking...he's convinced I'll make something inedible and he thinks it's better for K to eat stale porridge than my cooking! Hmmphhh!

Anyway, I put my foot down and decided I MUST cook for Keston whenever I'm home. So, armed with detailed instructions on how to make Pork Stock from Catherine, I prepared the stock 2 days ago and froze the lot into my babycubes. First mistake there, I should have just froze them in plastic bags so I can throw the bag away. The stock made my cubes so oily that I'm tempted to throw them away. Probably because I didn't sieve out the oil properly :P

The next step was to find the most comprehensive, detailed recipe for porridge. I followed some basic steps from littlegastronomy and improvised a little myself. And voila! I made porridge! Not bad if I say so myself :) Made a mistake of not mashing the peas first. I'd thought they'd be all soft and mushy by the time I'm done but nah, they were still quite crunchy.

I used 2 (and abit more) chinese soup spoons of grains and got about 1.5 bowl of porridge. Keston wallop everything, even some of the peas which I managed to mash up. He didn't eat most of the peas though cos he's too impatient to wait for me to mash them.


No comments: