babies

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Night Terrors


Last sunday, we finally brought Keston to The Polliwogs. HW had some errand to run in the east so we thought we'd drop by the indoor playground. Keston, as usual, loved the ballpit and the slides. It was abit tiring for us as we had to guide him through the play structure to get to the slides-- that means lots of crouching, crawling and climbing. HW kept complaining that it's damn tiring but he still got on with his fatherly duties.

That same night, I had the hardest time putting Keston to sleep. My normal 'routine' would be to dump him on my bed, off the lights while I continue surfing the net. He'd usually climb up and down, lie on my tummy, lick my knees, bang on the laptop..until he falls asleep happily. But that night, after just a couple of minutes of moving, he started sobbing. I gave him his pacifier and he kept spitting it out. I tried cuddling him and he'd calm down for abit and then start crying again. It went on and on for 2+hours until he fell asleep due to pure exhaustion. But shortly after he was asleep, he started stirring and crying in his sleep. He wasn't awake, just crying hysterically in his sleep. My ils keep saying "All babies are like that." But NO, Keston is usually a great great sleeper at night! When he sleeps at night, nothing can wake him up. Anyway, I digress. It was difficult to calm him down and it took awhile before he stopped crying and continued sleeping.....The whole saga lasted the whole night. I tried teething gel, ruyi oil, massage oils...

The next night, same thing happened.

On the 3rd night, he didn't cry too much before falling asleep so I thought it's all over. I went out to watch tv and he began crying hysterically shortly. I managed to pacify him in a short while and went back out. Again, he started crying. Upon suggestions from other mummies, I decided to wake him up. I turned on the lights and brought him out to the living room. Despite the light, he continued crying hysterically. Carry also cry, don't carry also cry. Sit down also cry, lie down also cry. Give pacifier also don't want. Give milk don't want. The only thing that calmed him down was his baby puffs. HW didn't want to give him too much to eat and kept trying to stop him, which induced more wails. It was a long long night. I had to carry him (in sitting up position) and walked around the house in the dark. He wouldn't let me sit down on the bed...he'd only permit me to sit down on a chair by the window--which is bloody eerie if you ask me!

And so this went on till I thought he was much calmer and went to lie down on the bed. He didn't really cry anymore, but was still v restless and somehow fell asleep around 4am.

The 4th night, I knew I couldn't take it anymore and went to EYS to buy this 八宝散. It's actually for cough, phlegm but the staff recommended it for night wakings. So wth, just try lah. That night, no problem at all! Keston fell asleep easily and slept peacefully all night. To add to that, we placed the bible by the bed and played a worship cd all night.

The next morning while I was watching tv with Keston, the tv channel started changing by itself! Not once, but 3 times!! I was so freaked that I went to off the main switch. I know there are perfectly scientific reasons for this (circuit failure and whatnots) but freaky nontheless.

On the 5th night, HW didn't want me to give K the powder anymore cos he says there's probably some alcohol or drug contents to make you drowsy. But I persisted as I was afraid he'll go hysterical again. As expected he slept very well. At one point in time, I actually moved the bible over his body and at that exact instant, Keston sat upright and raised both arms into the air, with his face tilted upwards!!! As suddenly as it happened, he collapsed and continued sleeping. WTF! Tell me what to think?

Yesterday was the 6th night and we went drug free. Everything was fine and I hope the night terrors stay away!

3 comments:

kc said...

sounds eerie leh! on some nites, jonah will start weeping and have this very sad look. makes me wonder about how mommies talk about having negative energy around the house. wonder if jonah is seeing "things" sometimes.

Anonymous said...

OMG so eerie !!! esp the 5th nite and the TV..

The Never Bored Mom said...

Hahaha it is really eerie if you keep thinking about it.
I have to keep thinking up scientific reasons for everything!